Monday, February 10, 2014

Introduction #2

I have been hand knitting since childhood and bought my first knitting machine about forty years ago. I loved making ski sweaters with Fair Isle yokes but wanted to knit the plain part much faster than my hand knitting would allow. My first purchase was a second hand Singer 321 machine. What was interesting was that I bought this machine through a neighbour who was a manager at Singer in Montreal. The machine he found for me was a Spanish machine with all of the printed key words (eg on the tension wheel) and the instruction book in Spanish. Let's just say it was an interesting experience trying to learn to use the machine.

I started by hand knitting the ribbed welt, then put the knitting on every other needle on the main bed (this is a standard machine that I still own) and knitted the plain part of the body. Then I took the piece back off the machine and onto my needles to hand knit the Fair Isle yoke. I certainly learned to machine knit in a very unconventional manner.

I hope to knit the hoodie on my Brother 940 but also have the option of using my LK 140 mid gauge machine.

Nancy and I hope you will join in and knit along with us. Please comment and send in your hints and questions. We hope that everyone will learn something from our blog.

Happy Knitting
Lynne
www.sheepsclothing.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment